assignment of eth* devices

Aleksandar Milivojevic amilivojevic at pbl.ca
Mon Feb 7 20:55:38 UTC 2005

David Hoffman wrote:
> I have tried making the swap in the modprobe.conf file and had no luck
> with it. After reboot, it came back the same way. This was with two
> different nics.

Hmmm... strange.  This worked for me, every time (although, last time I
actually used it was Red Hat 7.3 system).  Don't remember if I also did
"depmod -a" after editing the file.

Looking at Fedora machines, seems that HWADDR setting is placed in
default auto-generated ifcfg-ethX files.  Maybe this is the reason it
hasn't worked for you (what happens if you don't have HWADDR line in
ifcfg-ethX file?).