cd player not working

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Mon Feb 7 21:47:33 UTC 2005

first, scan thru /var/log/messages, looking for the announcement during
bootup that your cdrom was found, and note its device name-- it's
probably something like /dev/hdb or /dev/hdc (unless it's a SCSI device)

then make sure there's a soft link to that device from /dev/cdrom.  If
not, login as root & create it.  For instance:

        cd /dev
        ln -s hdc cdrom

double check like this:

        file /dev/cdrom