IP address aliases

Leon Stringer leon.stringer at ntlworld.com
Mon Feb 7 21:52:15 UTC 2005

Hi,

I'm using an FC3 box as a router and need to NAT some addresses.

I can add those addresses with "ip address add 10.0.0.1 dev eth0" but
this isn't persistant.

I can add alias config files (e.g. ifcfg-eth0:1) but these appear to
have to go in three
places: /etc/sysconfig/network/devices, /etc/sysconfig/network/profiles/default and /etc/sysconfig/networking-scripts.

I haven't got X on this box so I'm doing this at the shell.

Can anyone tell me:

1. What's the recommended way to make ip aliases persistent?

2. If I have to use alias ifcfg files should there be three copies? It
seems wrong...

Thanks in advance,

Leon...