Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Goose Gosswiller gooseg at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 7 21:53:36 UTC 2005

Les Mikesell <les <at> futuresource.com> writes:

> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 12:32, Gain Paolo Mureddu wrote:
>
> > I still don't get why are Web forums so dreaded, but that's just me... I
> > haven't seen a *single* reason why not to make it so...
>
> They are really unhandy if you are interested in more than a couple
> of things.  You certainly can't expect the people with answers to
> your questions to hop around through dozens of them just so you
> don't have to sort your inbox...
>
> > Unless, of
> > course you still want to recieve 500+ e-mail messages if you are away of
> > your computer for a day or two and could not cancel mail delivery
> > temporarily (if you don't get the digest, of course).
>
> That's not a problem.  Procmail or most mailers will sort them
> in a jiffy and you can catch up at your own speed.
>
> >  To each their own,
> > I just don't get why people don't like the web forums idea...
>
> Who's going to do that extra work looking for questions to answer?  If
> a question drops in your mailbox and you happen to know the answer it's
> a couple of seconds to solve someone's problem.  Who's going to bounce
> though a bunch of web sites for that?

Maybe I'm just thick, but I don't use the "mail-list" at all anymore.
I got sick and tired of the quantity of mail, but more than that
because of the mailer used at the office I couldn't reply without
HTML mail (build issues)....ugh!!!
Alexander Dalloz pointed me to gmane.org and I've been there,
and happy, ever since!!! I can reply (hence you see this note),
I can read whatever it is I want without having to peruse
through tons of mail or a digest. My only complaint is I can't
seem to get to the archives from gmane.org, but that may not be
their issue -- it could be my lazy tendancies. I just go to
the Red Hat site and navigate the archives from there....
I did Linux for 8 years without any list. Just plugged away
with books and friendly advice from others. Man, when I found
this list a couple years ago it was heaven-sent!!!! I've been
provided with tons of information here (even provided some)!!!
Any change should be made thoughtfully with the user community
in mind, afterall this is a community project. To drive away
those that make it work would be a tragedy......
Just my two pennies
cheers
goose Gosswiller
Reg. Linux User: #757455