IP address aliases

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Mon Feb 7 22:48:25 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 16:00 -0600, Aleksandar Milivojevic wrote:
> Leon Stringer wrote:
> > 2. If I have to use alias ifcfg files should there be three copies? It
> > seems wrong...
>
> No.  One is all you need. Create only
> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1.

If you manually create them, only the one above is needed.
If you use system-config-network to create the definitions all 3 will be
created for you automatically. HOWEVER, all 3 are actually one file.
Each is a hard link to the actual data content.

This can be seen by using
"ls -i /etc/sysconfig/networking/devices /etc/sysconfig/
networking/profiles/default/ /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/"
then look at the listed inode numbers for the copy in each location --
one copy of the file, listed in 3 places.

You can do the same by creating hard links using ln for each copy.

If you do not create all 3, then use system-config-network at a later
date it may get confused.