Problem with CUPS

david walcroft david_walcroft at yahoo.com.au
Mon Feb 7 23:30:25 UTC 2005

Mark Haney wrote:
> Okay, I hope someone on this list can help me out here.  This is the
> problem I encountered over the weekend with one of my Linux boxes.  I
> normally leave the machine up 24/7 so I can keep track of my logs and to
> be able to run tests from an outside IP onto my local where I work.  I
> rebooted it this weekend and for some reason CUPS just died.  The
> service failed to start and froze the machine.  I managed to get it to a
> point where the service didn't start on boot, but now I need to know how
> to fix it.  I have tried re-installing the packages.  I have tried
> removing the offending package with --nodeps and using yum to install.
> And I get the same problem every time.  Since it's always worked before,
> I have never had to really learn a lot about CUPS so I'm struggling
> here.  Does anyone have any suggestions?
>

> --------------------------------------
> Mark Haney
> markh at uptimecomputer.net
> Fedora Core release 3 (Heidelberg) Kernel: 2.6.10-1.760_FC3 GNU/Linux
> 08:06:20 up 2 days, 23:04, 2 users, load average: 0.33, 0.23, 0.16

Mark
   In my inexperience with cups a couple of things have helped,
1) Check the logs - you never know
2) I found uninstalling any printers first then remove/install cups
    install the printer
3) I try to avoid doing this but....  after removing printers/cups do
    a reboot,if such action still results in a system freeze...then I
have been of no help.

   david