assignment of eth* devices

Jeff Vian jvian10 at charter.net
Tue Feb 8 02:31:06 UTC 2005

On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 11:59 -0600, David Hoffman wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Feb 2005 12:21:46 -0500, Sameer Kamat <sameer at unitrends.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >           Would anyone know how to force the system to assign a specific
> > network card
> > a specific eth device. Is there a file/ setting that can be adjusted to
> > force this operation.?
> >

> I had this problem with my system. I wanted to use my 100-base-T
> connection for the link to the router, but wanted my Gigabit
> connection for the LAN side. But when I did the install, they were
> reversed.
>
> Here's what I did, but there may be much easier ways.
>
> Problems with eth0 and eth1 on wrong adapters?
>
> Run system-config-network
> -- Deactivate both devices
> -- Delete both devices
> -- On hardware tab, delete both adapters
>
> Run kudzu
> -- The first adapter that it finds (and that you CONFIGURE) will be
> eth0, so if it finds the adapter you want to be eth1 first, then tell
> it to "do nothing".
> -- Let it go find the other adapter and configure that one. That will
> make it eth0.
> -- Then run kudzu again and this time let it configure the other
> adapter which will make it eth1.
>
> Run system-config-network again.
> -- Select the DNS tab and make sure that information is correct,
> especially for DNS search path.
> -- Select the devices tab, edit one of the devices and be sure the
> gateway is set correctly.
>

> Like I said, this is what I did to make it work for me. Wait a little
> while to see if anyone else comes up with another solution, or
> validates mine.
>
> Some of the things I tried were editing the modprobe.conf file and the
> network scripts in /etc/sysconfig...  disabling and enabling the
> adapters... this was the only way I could easily get it to work.

Much easier is the modprobe.conf file.

You can put an alias in for each adapter.  In this case it has been
specified each is different so will likely have a different alias line
to identify the interface.

In here simply look at what is specified.  As you indicated the devices
were switched from what you expected.
The modprobe.conf lines were likely
   alias eth0 <module for Gigabit adapter>
   alias eth1 <module for 100-base adapter>

simply reverse the eth0 and eth1 entries in these two lines and when you
reboot the interface names will be switched.

Now you may have to go to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts and edit the
HWADDRESS line in the appropriate ifcfg-ethX file to make that work, but
that will be all that is needed.