NTP problem - Clock too fast for NTP to keep up?

Peter Kiem zordah at zordah.net
Tue Feb 8 06:04:24 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've got a FC3 machine where the system clock ADVANCES at a rapid rate
which screws up the services I have running.

I've got a hardware router (Snapgear SME575) which exposes an NTP server
to my network and I can successfully use ntpdate to update the clock as
long as I do it every 2 minutes.

In the FC3 machine I have the following ntp.conf
/etc/ntp.conf:
restrict default nomodify notrap noquery
restrict 127.0.0.1
server 202.173.151.129
driftfile /var/lib/ntp/drift
broadcastdelay  0.008
keys /etc/ntp/keys

When I look at what NTP is doing I see:
# ntpq -p
  jitter
  fizban.zordah.n 0.0.0.0          5 u   31   64  377    1.038  -393692
29073.0

So from what I can NTP is working and can contact the NTP server on my
router but the time is changing so fast NTP cannot keep up?

Has anyone experienced/solved this issue?

--
Regards,
Peter Kiem

Zordah IT - IT Consultancy and Internet Services
Ph: (0414) 724-766   Fax: (07) 3344-5827
Web: www.zordah.net  Email: zordah at zordah.net