kernel-source

Billy Rose billyrose at cox.net
Tue Feb 8 06:33:50 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 00:35 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:55:51PM -0600, Billy Rose wrote:
>  > On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 23:28 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
>  > > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:29:11PM -0600, Billy Rose wrote:
>  > > > I was just curious if a FC3 kernel-source rpm was in the works for the
>  > > > latest kernel update? I can build a kernel from scratch, but I do not
>  > > > know the order to apply the patches.
>  > >
>  > > You mean the src.rpm? That's there already. If you mean a 'binary' RPM named
>  > > kernel-source, you need to read the release notes or about 15% of the
>  > > messages on this list.
>  >
>  > May I suggest a README_kernel-source-2.6.10-1.760_FC3 in the update
>  > directory on the download site? There would be much less traffic about
>  > it.
>
> People can't be bothered to read the release notes that come
> with the ISOs, or searching the list archives, or spend a few
> seconds googling.

Forgive my impatience, but I am one of those poor unfortunate blokes
that just spent the last 5 days trying to get FC3 installed because I
have an Intel 810 chip set. After not being given the option to boot
into text mode (Expert options in the installer???) and no virtual
terminal keys working to switch out of the wonderful colors which looked
quite pleasant on my screen, I installed without X only to get an
endless stream of dependency failures when trying to install the X rpm's
by hand (is the rpm dependency tree in the release notes somewhere???).
I finally resorted to Google (in text mode) to find a solution to the
810 issue, and got that resolved. After this experience, I became
excited with a working machine, and the thought never crossed my mind
that a release note would include instructions on how to build your own
kernel source rpm since FC1 and FC2 both had them in the update
directory.

I did in fact install the .src rpm and found all of the patches. I
searched the Red Hat website for a howto on patching the kernel source
only to find a link which points here
http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO/ which in turn took me
to a very knowledgeable, but nevertheless, useless wealth of information
for my specific cause that assumes I know the order in which to apply
the patches. Hence, my first ever question posted to this list which has
left me flamed in a somewhat undertone for not trying.

Where are the archives to this list? There is no link that I can readily
find on the Fedora website. Did I look, yes.

Again, forgive me for being impatient, it has been a trying experience.