DNS Setup

Roger Grosswiler roger at gwch.net
Tue Feb 8 06:29:30 UTC 2005

Frank Stratton - VE3YY schrieb:
> I've tried unsuccessfully to set up a DNS server using the GUI (or any other
> method).  I add a domain, a host record, save and restart named and when I
> try to resolve the name it says it can't find it.

> Frank
>
> :
> : " Beware of the naked man who offers you his shirt. "
> :

if you let point your /etc/resolv.conf to the ip-adress of your
dns-server, it should work.

if not, test it with the following on the machine which has your
dns-server running:

dig @localhost servername.domain.tld

you should get a reply according to your reply-section from localhost.

;; Query time: 30 msec
;; SERVER: 127.0.0.1#53(localhost)
;; WHEN: Tue Feb  8 07:26:38 2005
;; MSG SIZE  rcvd: 85

and it should also resolve the hostname you indicated.

if you do afterwards dig @ip-adress-of-dns-server servername.domain.tld

it should do the same. If not, it could be a firewall-issue. using
lokkit, make sure, that udp:domain (and perhaps also tcp:domain) are
openend.

HTH
Roger