kernel-source

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Tue Feb 8 06:49:52 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 00:33 -0600, Billy Rose wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 00:35 -0500, Dave Jones wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:55:51PM -0600, Billy Rose wrote:
> >  > On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 23:28 -0500, Matthew Miller wrote:
> >  > > On Mon, Feb 07, 2005 at 10:29:11PM -0600, Billy Rose wrote:
> >  > > > I was just curious if a FC3 kernel-source rpm was in the works for the
> >  > > > latest kernel update? I can build a kernel from scratch, but I do not
> >  > > > know the order to apply the patches.
> >  > >
> >  > > You mean the src.rpm? That's there already. If you mean a 'binary' RPM named
> >  > > kernel-source, you need to read the release notes or about 15% of the
> >  > > messages on this list.
> >  >
> >  > May I suggest a README_kernel-source-2.6.10-1.760_FC3 in the update
> >  > directory on the download site? There would be much less traffic about
> >  > it.
> >
> > People can't be bothered to read the release notes that come
> > with the ISOs, or searching the list archives, or spend a few
> > seconds googling.
>
> Forgive my impatience, but I am one of those poor unfortunate blokes
> that just spent the last 5 days trying to get FC3 installed because I
> have an Intel 810 chip set. After not being given the option to boot
> into text mode (Expert options in the installer???) and no virtual
> terminal keys working to switch out of the wonderful colors which looked
> quite pleasant on my screen, I installed without X only to get an
> endless stream of dependency failures when trying to install the X rpm's
> by hand (is the rpm dependency tree in the release notes somewhere???).
> I finally resorted to Google (in text mode) to find a solution to the
> 810 issue, and got that resolved. After this experience, I became
> excited with a working machine, and the thought never crossed my mind
> that a release note would include instructions on how to build your own
> kernel source rpm since FC1 and FC2 both had them in the update
> directory.
>
> I did in fact install the .src rpm and found all of the patches. I
> searched the Red Hat website for a howto on patching the kernel source
> only to find a link which points here
> http://www.linux.org/docs/ldp/howto/Kernel-HOWTO/ which in turn took me
> to a very knowledgeable, but nevertheless, useless wealth of information
> for my specific cause that assumes I know the order in which to apply
> the patches. Hence, my first ever question posted to this list which has
> left me flamed in a somewhat undertone for not trying.
>
> Where are the archives to this list? There is no link that I can readily
> find on the Fedora website. Did I look, yes.
>
> Again, forgive me for being impatient, it has been a trying experience.
----
some of us (and I will include myself in this despite all attempts to
not do it) may be having bad days ourselves and take it out on available
people. Flaming is often a sign of getting noticed. I don't recall
who/how you were flamed - not a big deal.

Search the archives is a valid answer but often not too helpful.

At the bottom of each and every email is: