Is httpd in FC3 chrooted???

D. D. Brierton darren at dzr-web.com
Tue Feb 8 12:30:02 UTC 2005

I'm having a bizarre problem. I'm trying to set up my Apache Virtual
Hosts. This is a set up I had working perfectly in FC2. FC3 was a clean
installation, but my home directory was unchanged as it is on a separate
partition. I used Emacs' ediff to copy my settings from my backed-up
copies of /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and /etc/hosts into the FC3
versions. But when I restart httpd it tells me that the DocumentRoots of
the virtual hosts do no exist, when plainly they do and have the correct
permissions.

# service httpd restart
Stopping httpd:                                            [  OK  ]
Starting httpd: [Tue Feb 08 11:59:30 2005] [warn] The Alias directive in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 473 will probably never match because it overlaps an earlier AliasMatch.
Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/darren/public_html/dzr/] does not exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/darren/public_html/dzr/clients/<client1>/] does not exist
Warning: DocumentRoot [/home/darren/public_html/dzr/clients/<client2>/] does not exist
...(several more snipped)
                                                           [  OK  ]

I don't understand the first warning, but that isn't my chief concern at
the moment.

What I really don't understand is why Apache is saying that those
DocumentRoots don't exist. (Obviously the <client1> and <client2> are
just placeholders for real directory names.) My only guess is that
Apache is somehow running chrooted but I saw no mention of that in the
FC3 release notes or httpd configuration files. There is no mod_chroot
installed.

Googling turns up several people seeming to have the same problem on
other platforms (SUSE, OSX) e.g.

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/135778/Warning:_DocumentRoot_%5B/www/manual%5D_does_not_exist_while_trying_to.html

http://www.issociate.de/board/post/146252/APACHE2_DocumentRoot__does_not_exist_for_Vhost.html

but I couldn't find any answers. Could someone enlighten me?

Best, Darren