KDE and GNOME apps

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Tue Feb 8 13:04:21 UTC 2005

Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2005, at 05:43, Kevin Fries wrote:
>
>> | Can I run GNOME apps on KDE and vice versa?
>> |
>> | For instance:
>> | As I understand it a app called K3b is a cd/dvd burning app for KDE.
>> | Can I use K3b in GNOME??
>>
>> Yes and No.
>>
>> Gnome and Gnome applications are based upon a graphics package called
>> GTK.
>>
>> KDE & KDE applications are based upon a graphics package called qt.
>>
>> If you have Gnome, GTK must be installed.
>>
>> If you have KDE, QT must be installed.
>>
>> Most computers have both GTK and QT installed, but it is not required.
>>
>> If QT is installed, any KDE application should run.  If GTK is
>> installed, any GNOME application should run.  However, this rule is
>> not hard and fast.
>

> Uh?
>
> Having installed both GNOME and KDE base libraries, I have yet to find
> any application that refuses to work properly when working in any of
> those desktop environments. For me, K3B works fine whether I'm an a
> GNOME desktop session or a KDE session. In fact, I happen to spend most
> of the time under GNOME and tend to burn CD/DVDs using K3B.

This is not inconsistent with what Kevin said.

If you have installed packages from RPMs (this includes using yum or apt
etc.) without using --nodeps or --force, RPMs dependency handling should
have taken care of all the requirements, i.e. if a package is installed,
it should be able to run because all of the libraries it requires should
be there.

Paul.