k3b

jim lawrence fedorajim at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 15:07:15 UTC 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 13:47:53 +0000, Paul Howarth <paul at city-fan.org> wrote:
> Scott Ryan wrote:

> > say:

> >>You don't need to make changes to this file. What you need is for udev
> >>to create the symlink /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/hdX (where hdX is you CD
> >>writer device); /etc/security/console.perms then specifies that any
> >>device of that name should be owned by the user logged in at the console.
> >>
> >>Are you getting a link /dev/cdwriter -> /dev/hdX created at boot time?
> >
> > Yes
> >
> > -> ls -al cdwriter
> > lrwxrwxrwx  1 root root 3 Feb  8 06:45 cdwriter -> hdc
> >
> >>Is /dev/hdX changing ownership when someone logs in at the console?
> >

> > No.
> >
> > -> cat /etc/security/console.perms | grep cdrom
> > <cdrom>=/dev/cdrom* /dev/cdroms/* /dev/cdwriter* /mnt/cdrom*
> > <console>  0600 <cdrom>      0660 root.disk
>
> The files look OK; at least, they look the same as mine do!
>
> Do you have a file /var/run/console/console.lock, and is your username
> in it?
>
> Paul.
>
> --

If I remember correctly, wih k3b, you needed to run it the first time
as root in order for you to be able to use k3b as a user,  I had the
same problem a while back when I installed k3b, i tried to do the old
su- install and afterwards I could burn anything.  So I uninstalled
k3b, logged out logged in as Root and then did the install.
--

Jim Lawrence
Registered Linux User: #376813