FC3 and Riva128 graphics adapter - resolution problems

Alexander Spanke aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Tue Feb 8 15:54:19 UTC 2005

Hi,

I would modify the X config using vi and not using this clicky
applet ... anyway, I would check your X config in general, if you are
able to setup resolutions which are not healthy for your screen ...

Cheers
 Alex

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 15:48 +0000, Rob MacKay wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I'm having a problem with my newly installed system, and need some guidance.
>   Any help or direction would be appreciated.
>
> My system is a PII 350 with riva128 on board.  I've configured Xorg and it's
> mostly working ok.  My own login is fine once I changed the resolution using
> preferences>screen resolution.  The signon screen and root login screen,
> however, are both stuck on 1280X960 and my monitor (Benq 15" flat panel)
> complains about it.  It shows the screen, but says "out of range" on the
> screen.  When I got into root login and change the resolution, it stays for
> that session, but when I log out and back in ... it's changed back to
> 1280X960 (I want 1024X768).
>
> Perhaps related is the fact that I can't seem to open display configuration
> from the menu.  When I attempt to manually run it from the terminal, I get
> 5-6 error messages.  I think that it may be because the display
> configuration is for Xfree86 where FC3 uses Xorg (though admittedly I have
> little idea what I'm talking about).
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Rob

Alexander Spanke                         System Analyst
      NEC High Performance Computing Europe GmbH
Prinzenallee 11            D-40549 Duesseldorf, Germany
Tel:    +49 211 5369 146           aspanke at hpce.nec.com
Fax:    +49 211 5369 199        http://www.hpce.nec.com