Problem with smb shares.

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Tue Feb 8 21:09:10 UTC 2005

On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:08:07 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana <lkml at mac.com> wrote:
> On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:13, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
>
> > I know someone is going to tell me that google will give me the answer
> > but I am burdened with too much information already so I will ask this
> > anyway.
> >
> > Since W2k shares can have more than two levels but evidently not in
> > the smbmount that I am using so I can say:
> > smbmount //trinity-tiger/users .....
> > but not:
> > smbmount //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 ...
>
> What's the problem with the first command? Why do you want to mount a
> subdirectory of a share instead of mounting the share directly?

First of all, it's kind of obnoxious to say that you know you can
google for the answer but are too burdened... Or should I read that to
mean that you are too lazy to look for yourself?

In any case, W2K can have multiple levels of shares, and where you set
the share point is the point that can be mounted. If you want to use
//trinity-tigers/users/csldap1, then make that a share in W2K. Don't
expect that you can make users a share point but try to map to
csldap1. You can't even do that in the windows world.