Postgresql-8.0.1

Rodolfo J. Paiz rpaiz at simpaticus.com
Tue Feb 8 21:11:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 19:15 +0000, Paul Howarth wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 12:35 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz wrote:
> > On Mon, 2005-02-07 at 18:43 -0500, Robert L Cochran wrote:
> > > Can someone tell me how to extract just one or two files from an RPM?
> > >

> > I believe cpio does this.
>
> When used in conjunction with rpm2cpio (which there is a brief manpage
> for).

When faced with this kind of problem, you can also use the "apropos"
command or its equivalent, "man -k" (for keyword). In this case:

[rpaiz at rodolfo ~]$ apropos cpio
cpio                 (1)  - copy files to and from archives
rpm2cpio             (8)  - Extract cpio archive from RPM Package
Manager (RPM) package

[rpaiz at rodolfo ~]$ apropos rpm
RPM2                 (3pm)  - Perl bindings for the RPM Package Manager
API
rpm2cpio             (8)  - Extract cpio archive from RPM Package
Manager (RPM) package
rpm                  (8)  - RPM Package Manager
rpmbuild             (8)  - Build RPM Package(s)
rpmdeps              (8)  - Generate RPM Package Dependencies
RPM::Specfile        (3pm)  - Perl extension for creating RPM Specfiles

Both commands yield very useful output.

Cheers,

--
Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>