routing question (almost there!)

Douglas Frank frank at zk3.dec.com
Tue Feb 8 21:21:15 UTC 2005

Oops yes it is.  Anyway I'm past that (see earlier post)-- the box I
*thought* was the router, isn't.

I'm almost all set-- I just need to know how to make the routing table
permanent.  Looking at /etc/rc.d/rc5.d/S10network, it reads a static-
routes file (if present) and adds routes found there.  Looks like all
I have to do is gin up a file for it to read.  Unfortunately the rc
script dosn't allow the arguments I think I need:

the rc script invokes route sort of like this:

   cat static_routes | while read ignore args ; do
	/sbin/route add -$args
   done

The lines I *want* to generate to route are:

   route add -net <router's_network> netmask 255.255.255.0 eth0
   route add default gw <router_1>
   route add default gw <router_2>

but the darn '-' in the script gets in the way of the 2nd & 3rd lines,
route(8) doesn't like "-default".  (The local network router doesn't
have an address on the local net.  Beats me!  The switches around here
are a madhouse.)

What's the trick? (Yes I could edit the rc script but would rather not).

--
Douglas Frank
HP Co.