Problem with smb shares.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Tue Feb 8 22:07:05 UTC 2005

On Tue, Feb 08, 2005 at 03:09:10PM -0600, David Hoffman wrote:
> On Tue, 8 Feb 2005 21:08:07 +0100, Felipe Alfaro Solana <lkml at mac.com> wrote:
> > On 8 Feb 2005, at 19:13, akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> >
> > > I know someone is going to tell me that google will give me the answer
> > > but I am burdened with too much information already so I will ask this
> > > anyway.
> > >
> > > Since W2k shares can have more than two levels but evidently not in
> > > the smbmount that I am using so I can say:
> > > smbmount //trinity-tiger/users .....
> > > but not:
> > > smbmount //trinity-tigers/users/csldap1 ...
> >
> > What's the problem with the first command? Why do you want to mount a
> > subdirectory of a share instead of mounting the share directly?
> >

> First of all, it's kind of obnoxious to say that you know you can
> google for the answer but are too burdened... Or should I read that to
> mean that you are too lazy to look for yourself?
I was trying to be amusing but clearly I failed. I am really two
burdened and the big question would be what would I google for. I am
handling the Linux part of a LDAP authentication project and another
group completely is handling the LDAP server part. Now those people
have no idea how to put things like id number and group number in a
Windows LDAP server. I use Windows machines at times at home but I
have no clue how to run a Windows server. So for example, I have no
idea how to implement the suggestion you made below. I have no freedom
to change the designation of shares on our Windows server (which is Win
XP by the way) but I will transmit your suggestions to the Windows
group. And I appreciate the response.