Problems with attempting to install Fedora Core 3

Pat Pleate rosebwl2 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 22:20:06 UTC 2005

Hello:
  Thanks in advance if someone can assist me.

  The facts:
1. PC is an Omnitech computer (intel-based)
2. Blew away Windoze and installed Shrike (RH9)
3. Found out that RH9 not really supported anymore, therefore wanted to convert to FC3.

Problem:
1. Even though BIOS indicates CD-ROM device is the first bootable device, I can't boot from Disk 1 of FC3.
2. Attempted to boot from RH9 bootable floppy and install FC3 from CD (which can be "seen"), can't do it.
3. FC3 does NOT have the \DOSUTILS dir on the CD, unlike FC1 did, therefore, can NOT make a FC3 boot diskette.
4. Found FC1, \DOSUTILS on FC1 and created a boot diskette from that.  I can boot but can not install FC3 - indicates the wrong core.

  Soooooo, after many hours of venting and wondering if going to Linux is worth it (I enjoyed learning in RH9 and SUSE) on this desktop, what is the next step to get this thing upgraded?

  My thoughts:
1. Can I upgrade from RH9 to FC3 somehow, and if so, is there documentation that can help?
2. Waste more time downloading FC1, burning ISOs, and overwrite RH9 this way, than upgrade to FC3 (or do I need to do a sequential process of upgrading to FC2 then to FC3)?

  I thought that this was going to be easy, but there appears to be a number of computers that did not have bootable CD-ROMs, and I happened to have one.

  Thanks.
4.