Compiling programs and KDE

robrosenthal1 robrosenthal1 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 8 22:51:39 UTC 2005

I bought a book called Linux Timesaving Techniques for Dummies (yes, I
know, I'm a dummy.  And a newbie.  And clueless.  Yada yada yada).  In
giving an example of how to compile programs, the authors used
superkaramba as a working example.  At the ./configure stage, they say
to enter the following command:

$ ./configure --prefix=$(kde-config-prefix)

They then say that the --prefix stuff is "unique" to KDE and to use
"configure --help" to get more configuration options for KDE and non-KDE
programs.

Before I pose the question, yes, I searched google-linux, various
forums, etc., and haven't found an answer.

Okay, long build up, here's the question (or questions):  If the README
or INSTALL file in the tarball doesn't say it, how do I know what
programs need to be configured with this prefix stuff?  Is there a
general type or category that requires it?  How do I tell if the program
I'm compiling is one of them?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone would be so kind as to provide.

P.S.  If this has already been answered on this list, I apologize for
not having found it myself.  Also, if I have unwittingly blundered into
some mailing list etiquette minefield, I would be happy to be schooled
on my transgression(s) by some kind soul.