Compiling programs and KDE

David Cary Hart Fedora at TQMcube.com
Tue Feb 8 23:07:45 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 17:51 -0500, robrosenthal1 wrote:
> I bought a book called Linux Timesaving Techniques for Dummies (yes, I
> know, I'm a dummy.  And a newbie.  And clueless.  Yada yada yada).  In
> giving an example of how to compile programs, the authors used
> superkaramba as a working example.  At the ./configure stage, they say
> to enter the following command

> $ ./configure --prefix=$(kde-config-prefix)

Almost every package is compiled with --prefix=/usr (including KDE) when
installing to RH or Fedora.

This keeps almost everything in the expected locations; Program
directories under /usr/share, executables in /usr/bin, configuration
files in /etc, etc.

Not doing so tends to put stuff in /usr/local/whatever. They'll
(usually) still work but using --prefix provides a neater system.

BTW, what are you trying to compile?
--

         Total Quality Management - A Commitment to Excellence
               Fight Spam: http://tqmcube.com/rbldnsd.htm