Failure making fc3 backup image

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Wed Feb 9 00:04:49 UTC 2005

On 8 Feb 2005 at 11:08, Barry Yu wrote:

Date sent:      	Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:08:20 -0800
From:           	Barry Yu <barryyupuilee at sbcglobal.net>
To:             	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
Subject:        	Failure making fc3 backup image
Send reply to:  	For users of Fedora Core releases <fedora-list at redhat.com>
	<mailto:fedora-list-request at redhat.com?subject=subscribe>

> I attemped to make an image file of fc3 for restoration purpose and
> encountered  problems;
>
> 1. Using ghost 8.0
>     When just started, ghost checked the fc3 first for about 1 minute,
> and display message "An internal inconsistency has been detected. If
> this problem persists, contact Symantech Tech Support.", then I was
> forced to exit - Failure in making image.
>
> 2. Using partimage - problem in restoration ;
>     The making of fc3 image went well throughtout.
>     The restoration - When the process reached 96%, the message pop up
> "Impossible to find a local check structure, data may be damaged. Do you
> want to continue?" I selected "Yes" but program can't continue at all,
> the only thing left I can do was to select "No", and after it another
> message "Magic string does not match; error in the image file xxxxxx.ooo".
> ------------
> I had wiped out the fc3 partition twice and did 2 clean installation and
> still can't solve the problem.
> But the fc3 seemed working except as mentioned above. would appreciate
> any input.
>
> --

I've had similar problems with Ghost 2003 and similar error
messages. I have found that both G4U (netbsd) and G4L (linux)
have no problem making an image. My classroom machines have
98, XP, and FC3 now, and they don't have a problem.
Both basically use dd to copy the data,  pipe it thru gzip, and then ftp
it to a ftp server.

G4U is run from boot diskettes, and also included on the ubcd
(Ultimae Boot CD). G4L is a sourceforge/freshmeat project, but the
current author doesn't seem to be around  since Nov/Dec. I've been
making updates to the project on my site.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  15,574
Processing time:  30 years,  37 days, 18 hours, 38 minutes
(Total Hours: 263,707)