NTP problem - Clock too fast for NTP to keep up?

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 00:23:27 UTC 2005

jdow wrote:
> Also try booting with "noapic" and "nolapic" options. (I'd LOVE to
> know why the APIC screws up the ntp operations.)

I'm sure the kernel developers would, too.

But it's not that improbable, if you think about it.

The kernel measures the passage of time by counting timer ticks. A timer
works by sending interrupts to the CPU (which are received by the
kernel) every so often. And a Programmable Interrupt Controller (such as
the Advanced PIC, or APIC) is responsible for marshalling those
interrupts and sending them on.

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | The camel has a single hump;
Exeter    Devon    UK | The dromedary two;