Compiling programs and KDE

Rob Rosenthal robrosenthal1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 03:05:18 UTC 2005

> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 17:51 -0500, robrosenthal1 wrote:
>
>> I bought a book called Linux Timesaving Techniques for Dummies
>> (yes, I know, I'm a dummy.  And a newbie.  And clueless.  Yada yada
>>  yada).  In giving an example of how to compile programs, the
>> authors used superkaramba as a working example.  At the ./configure
>>  stage, they say to enter the following command
>

>> $ ./configure --prefix=$(kde-config-prefix)
>

> Almost every package is compiled with --prefix=/usr (including KDE)
> when installing to RH or Fedora.
>
> This keeps almost everything in the expected locations; Program
> directories under /usr/share, executables in /usr/bin, configuration
>  files in /etc, etc.
>
> Not doing so tends to put stuff in /usr/local/whatever. They'll
> (usually) still work but using --prefix provides a neater system.

I take it you mean that when compiling a program for installation into
an RH or Fedora system, it's a good idea (and safe) to consistently use
--prefix=/usr as this will keep your system neat and well organized?
(If your answer is, "Uh, yeah.  That's what I just said," please bear
with me.  I sometimes need to mirror things back to make sure I get the
idea!)

> BTW, what are you trying to compile?

Actually nothing at the moment.  But seeing this issue in the book made
me wonder if there was something important I was missing and I wanted to
know what the deal was before I compiled anything else.

Thank you, David!