Making VNC behave like Windoze RDP

Ben Sheron ben at whatsmykarma.com
Wed Feb 9 03:33:24 UTC 2005

I am using FC1.  I have gotten the vncserver package to run on it, but I
am wondering if there is a way to make this behave more like the Windoze
RDP feature, ie I log myself in with a few programs running, and RDP in
remotely and have access to my desktop the way I left it.  It seems like
it should be possible to set vncserver to do this, but I'm not sure
how.  Also, is there a Gnome applet that I can use to control this and
that will function on FC1?  (Due to some other apps I cannot upgrade my
box.)

While I'm on the subject, is anyone aware of a better remote desktop
alternative for Linux?  VNC has worked OK for me on my local network,
but going out over my cable modem it lags terribly.  Is there any way to
maybe emulate the other RDP features, such as the ability to play sound
from a remote machine locally?  Something cross platform would be nice,
as I would be accessing my box from a Windoze machine.  I've Googled but
haven't found much.  Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks for any info.

Ben