Dell Dimension Workstation A220 hangs

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 04:24:47 UTC 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 22:51, ed wrote:
> I've recently noticed that my Dell Workstation 220 freezes and the only
> way around is to reboot. I've looked at /var/log/messages and there is
> nothing there indicating a problem. The only thing I can see is that
> this is the original BIOS  (I inherited the machine from another group
> at work).
>
> I am running FC3 with the latest kernel. This problem occurred in the
> previous kernel as well, but I thought it was something I was doing. I
> am running about 6 FC3 machines at work and this is the only one that is
> having this problem. It used to be once a week, but now it seems like a
> daily occurrence.
>
> I am also suspecting it might be a memory parity error, but can't seem
> to find any logs to look at...
>
> Would appreciate some guidance...

You should run the memtest86 on that machine to identify or eliminate
the memory as being a problem.  I believe it is available on the first
CD of the installation set or on one of many recovery CDs that are
available on the web.

If it is not memory could it be a heat problem?  I had a motherboard
that developed what appeared to be a heat related problem and would just
die occasionally.  Usually when I was putting heavy load on the CPU.

And if it is occurring more frequently I think your initial guess of a
memory problem is probably not far from the mark.

--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.