[OT?] Remote management service idea

Gain Paolo Mureddu gmureddu at prodigy.net.mx
Wed Feb 9 05:08:59 UTC 2005

Brian Fahrlander wrote:

>    I have an idea.  Please throw rocks.
>
>    I start a company to support Fedora Core 3 remotely. A salesman just
>does a 'full' install (or preferably a kickstart) and puts it on the
>net. He helps the brave ex-window inmate set up the email/IM/etc and I
>start the support from there, doing a yum update, and all that.
>
>    The whole thing would happen over broadband, with GnomeMeeting, and
>they'd contact me for support at anytime over it, or if need be, by
>phone.
>
>    Just $20 would have me installing new software, adding users, or
>whatever is needed as long as they want.  The salesman could charge
>whatever he wants, assuming $80.
>
>    What I need to know is:
>
>    1. How many of you would be willing to 'sign on' to this support now
>(for grandma, the kids, what-have you) and
>
>    2. How many people do you feel certain you could convert and put
>onto this service?
>
>    If I can get enough, I can get outta this stupid security guard
>uniform for good...

I don't know about others, but I actually think this is a good idea... I
don't know about price tags, since I'm quite bad at setting them, but
the general idea looks good to me. About an estimative of users willing
to go this path... I couldn't say... I think it would be feasable, but
you will have to do a good marketing effort.