Permission Denied for INSTALL-BINARY

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 05:51:32 UTC 2005

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 14:04:33 +0900, Mark Sargent
<powderkeg at snow.email.ne.jp> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> using Fedora2 and trying to install from a .tar file. Extracted to this
> dir, mysql-standard-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686 where I see the
> INSTALL-BINARY file. Using this cmd, ./INSTALL-BINARY gives the
> following error,
>
> [root at localhost mysql-standard-4.1.9-pc-linux-gnu-i686]# ./INSTALL-BINARY
> -bash: ./INSTALL-BINARY: Permission denied
>
> What am I doing wrong here.? I'm rather new to Linux too. Cheers.
>
> Mark Sargent.

This is probably because the file is not executable.  In Linux, only
files so marked can be executed.  You can use the command "chmod" to
change the permissions on a file.  Use "chmod +x INSTALL-BINARY" to
make the file executable and then you should be able to run it with ./
 If this is a shell script, you can also run it with "sh
INSTALL-BINARY" without making it executable.  You can use the "file"
command to see what it is, ie "file INSTALL-BINARY" should tell you
something like "Bourne shell script text executable" if it is a shell
script.
I found this link real quick with Google that talks some more about
file permissions:
http://www.linuxpowered.com/html/editorials/file.html  Also check out
"man chmod" and "man chown"
Now, is there a reason you are installing from a tar ball?  You ought
to be able to find an equivalent rpm file to install.  Looks like
there are generic rpms at www.mysql.com as well as src.rpms.  I
recommend trying the rpm and if that doesn't work, then try rebuilding
the src.rpm.  You get better consistency (Fedora will know that mysql
4.1.9 is installed) and is a good opportunity to learn some more about
Linux :).

Jonathan