editing boot.ini

Maxim Eremeev maxim_eremeev at umail.ru
Wed Feb 9 07:07:17 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT (thufir) wrote:

|> Maxim Eremeev wrote: [..] Hi, The short answer is no. The problem
|> is that W2K boot-loader won'tbe able to see any file on a Linux
|> partition (unless you hadformatted it in VFAT which itself would
|> be a very bad idea). Why don't you just put the file bootsect.lnx
|> on C:\? Or, probably, I am missing something: what is your
|> present booting situation right now? Regards, Maxim.
|

| i did the classic fresh install of win2k so that now i can only
| boot into windows.  i'll do more googling on bootsect.lnx; at
| present i don't know how to do what you're suggesting.
|
| -- Thufir Hawat

In this case you cannot do what I suggested. Now you will have to use
the Fedora recovery disc to reinstall your GRUB properly (and Gain
Paolo Mureddu here already mentioned how to do this), or use the
utility Paul Howarth suggested. As for bootsect.lnx, it is a file that
you can create yourself when you are able to boot properly into your
Fedora installation (in fact it can be called any name, not
necessarily bootsect.lnx). This file is created with the following
command:

dd if=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1 of=/bootsect.lnx

You should note that instead of hda here should be mention the place
of your loader (it can be hda1... etc.). Then you would copy the file
to any partition your Windows can see and put the proper path into
boot.ini  And in spite of the fact that the people suggest using just
GRUB for multiple boot I, personally, would highly recommend to try
this method as well, as in the case of another Windows reinstallation
a person can safely and easily boot into his/her "brave GNU/Linux
world". As a matter of fact all this Windows - Linux multiple booting
is such a pervert by its very nature thing that one who wants to play
with it should try to know every single method of obtaining the
desired results. So I would suggest you, after you reinstall GRUB,
just try the trick. By the way you can actually turn your booting into
an infinite loop if you make Windows a default for GRUB, and make your
Fedora default in boot.ini - they will just replace one another until
you make your firm decision :) It is totally useless, but it is fun ;)
Well, and the best thing is just to quit the whole crazyness of mixing
differenet system on one computer, if it is possible, of course. I
used to have this Windows-Mandrake system and then
Windows-Mandrake-Red Hat system and then Windows-FC1 system... and
when I build myself another machine I put Windows on and left the
first one with just Fedora - it was the happiest day in my life.
Thinking about replacing Windows with Gentoo on the second one, but
have this really big problem with the stupid games I am addicted to ;)

Good luck,
Maxim.