where does "Network is unreachable" come from?

Hanny Tidore htfrontier at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 13:14:11 UTC 2005

Sometimes I got the same problem for no apparent reason.
Symtoms: IP looks ok, but cannot ping a server on the Internet (for
example: www.yahoo.com).

Solution: deactivate eth0, and reactivate eth0 (start>System Settings>Network)
After reactivating eth0, open a terminal and check if you can ping
www.yahoo.com.
If you open your browser before reactivating your eth0, close it and
restart your browser.