Notebook on Windows Network

Christopher A. Williams chrisw01 at privatei.com
Wed Feb 9 14:12:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 15:51 +0200, Denham Eva wrote:
> Thanks Paul for at least quering.
>
> Ok what I mean is - I am on the network i.e. my WinXP workstation can
> see my fedora-Core3-Notebook and even browse to my user account via
> Samba.
> But my notebook seems to not be able to see anything. If I try
> browsing the Lan I find only localhost network. If I ping my Windows
> XP workstation it see that. So I am on the network (or should I say I
> managed that thus far) but am stuck as to how to get linux to "join"
> the Windows Domain.
>
> I hope I am making more sense now.

Yes, this does make more sense. Sounds like a problem with the samba
client piece. Question for clarification: Are you really running a
Windows domain or just a workgroup? Specifically, is there a Windows
domain with a domain controller that authenticates everyone? If so, what
version of Windows Server is it running (NT4, W2K Server, Win Server
2K3)?

The reason I'm asking is because you mentioned joining the domain. If
you're actually using a workgroup and you can see the notebook from your
WinXP system and it does not appear in a separate workgroup/domain, the
samba server on the notebook is probably set up correctly. You may have
a few issues from the notebook side with host name resolution. Are you
able to ping from the notebook by host name or just IP address? Also, I
believe there are a few things that were fixed early on in FC3 with the
samba client related to browsing. Make sure you have the latest updates
installed. Those should be:

samba-common-3.0.10-1.fc3
samba-client-3.0.10-1.fc3
samba-3.0.10-1.fc3

The command rpm -qa samba* should tell you this and, if you're Internet
connected, the command yum -y update samba should get you to the latest
versions as well.

Final note (I know someone will say something otherwise). List
traditions and preferences here are that you should post in plain text
and not HTML. No flamers or hijacked threads from the gallery please!

Cheers,

Chris

--
"If you get to thinkin' you're a