mount fstab

Paul Howarth paul at city-fan.org
Wed Feb 9 14:40:06 UTC 2005

THUFIR HAWAT (thufir) wrote:
> jim lawrence wrote:
> hi all,I just want to make sure this line that I put into fsab is going to allow me to automount my  "D drive" and allow me to read & write to that drive without being root.
>
> here is my /etc/fstab file
> [..]
>
> # This file is edited by fstab-sync - see 'man fstab-sync' for details
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 /                       ext3    defaults        1 1
> LABEL=/boot             /boot                   ext3    defaults        1 2
> none                    /dev/pts                devpts  gid=5,mode=620  0 0
> none                    /dev/shm                tmpfs   defaults        0 0
> none                    /proc                   proc    defaults        0 0
> none                    /sys                    sysfs   defaults        0 0
> /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol01 swap                    swap    defaults        0 0
> /dev/hda2		/mnt/hda2		vfat	auto,rw.user	0 0
>
> /dev/hdc                /media/cdrecorder       auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,ro,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
> /dev/fd0                /media/floppy           auto    pamconsole,fscontext=system_u:object_r:removable_t,exec,noauto,managed 0 0
>

> on boot the message "...bad option...bad superblock...too many..." flashes across too fast across the screen to get it all.  I edited the /etc/fstab to now boot /dev/hda2.
>
> err, is the problem that rw.user should be rw,user?

Yes, options should be separated using commas, not periods. The "auto"
option is redundant because "auto" is the default. If you are the only
user of this system, you'd be better off using options
"uid=your-uid,gid=your-gid" (where your-uid and your-gid are your
username and groupname respectively), so that it gets mounted at boot
time and the files are all owned by you so you have permission to do
what you want to them. In this case you wouldn't need the "auto" and
"rw" options because they are the default, and you wouldn't need "user"
because the filesystem would be mounted all the time and there would be
no need for regular users to mount the filesystem.

The approach would be different if there were different users of the
system and you wanted each of them to be able to write to that
filesystem at various times.

Paul.