Making VNC behave like Windoze RDP

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 14:56:18 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 09:31, Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:
> On 9 Feb 2005, at 05:21, Scot L. Harris wrote:
>
> > Personally I use X11 over ssh.  I have my laptop setup with custom
> > launchers for the applications I want to run on remote systems.  By
> > using ssh you get a couple of benefits, the login and connection are
> > encrypted and you can tunnel pretty much anything over ssh.  And
> > depending on the speed of your computer you can enable compression
> > which
> > can help the through put in some cases.
>
> But you can't keep programs running on the remote machine if you close
> your SSH session or shutdown your client computer, can you?

Using X11 over ssh directly no.  But you can use a command called screen
to create virtual terminals that you can can be detached and then you
can reattach to them.

VNC may be a better option for what you want to do.  I used VNC a lot
way back but have changed my mode of operation over the last few years
to use ssh and X11 for most stuff.

How ever you do this just make sure your connections are encrypted and
that you don't have clear text passwords going over the Internet.

Other than that there are several ways to do what you want.  It comes
down to trying each and figuring out what method you prefer.

--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.