Gnome default folder view settings

Bob Chiodini rchiodin at bellsouth.net
Wed Feb 9 14:59:31 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 15:32 +0100, Duncan Lithgow wrote:
> > <duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk> wrote:
> > > I can't get folders to look the way I want. I want them to always open in
> > > 'View as List' but some of them always come up as 'View as Icons'. (this
> > > is using nautilus)
> > >
> > > I've been into edit > preferences > views and set it to 'View new folders
> > > using List View' but still they come up as icons each time.
> > >
> > > What have I missed?
> > >
> > > Duncan
> > > --
> > > Linux user #372812
> > >
> > > --
> >
> > Go to Applicatiopns---> System Tools ----> configuration Editor
> > Apps ---> Nautilus--> Preferences
> >
> > scroll dowen to where it say  "Default folder View
> >
> > Change  icon_view    To  list_view
>
> Thanks Jim, but it didn't work. 'default_folder_viewer' is already set to
> 'list_view' ... just checked. Should be too, cause that I what i set it too
> in nautilus: edit > preferences > views
>
> So, what have we missed here?
>
> Could it make a difference that some of the folders are in a vfat partition?
> Most of them work fine though - it's just one or two that don't. Is there
> some method of resetting folder properties in those folders?
>
> Duncan

Duncan,

My experience has been the same as yours.  If you just have a couple of
folders that are errant:  Change the "view as" mode of those particular
folder when they are being viewed and close the window.  The view mode
should be saved.  Apparently the last selected view overrides the
default.

Bob...