Good, not very technical articles about desktop linux and OOo?

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:34:27 UTC 2005

With tons of work and lots of help from the two fantastic lists to
which I'm posting this message, the IS department at Brooklyn Museum
is a few days away from rolling out our first Linux (Fedora Core 3)
desktops to staff. I'm incredibly excited about this--thanks to
everyone who's helped out.

We're starting with the Education department. Knowing the educators,
they are going to want to read up on Linux and related topics,
especially OpenOffice.org, in advance of meeting with me to talk about
the switch and how important it is to us both financially and
philosophically (we have a community-minded mission, so the OSS model
fits very well; in fact we have released some of our own software).
Does anyone have recommendations for good, recent, online articles
about Linux (especially Fedora Core), OOo, the GIMP, etc.?

In particular, I'm interested in articles for non-technical people about

1) the open-source development model;
2) not-too-partisan descriptions of how and why open-source licensing
benefits users, especially businesses;
3) Honest comparisons of usability and features between OSS and its
proprietary/commercial competitors;
4) Honest descriptive articles about the recent growth of OSS in
business and government (we are a privately-run, but partly
civically-funded institution).

But I'm also interested in *any* good articles you've seen lately: if
you can think of some, let me know!

Thanks,
Matt Morgan
Manager of Information Systems