Interactive Startup

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 15:45:34 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 09:09:34 -0500, Mark Haney <markh at uptimecomputer.net> wrote:
> Okay, I'm still dealing with the CUPS installation problem, but now I have another issue.  I cannot get 'Interactive Startup' to work consistently.  Is there another way to get that working so that I can stop the CUPS service on boot?  I am having a devil of a time booting FC3 to be able to fix it.  Is there some neat switch from the boot prompt that will do what need?

You could try to boot into single user mode, which is runlevel 1. Most
of the applications you start automatically from /etc/init.d are set
to start with runlevels 2,3,4 or 5. So it's a good chance that if you
start with runlevel 1, they won't start.

To do this, follow these instruction (copied from
http://www.fedorafaq.org/basics/#runlevel )

While You Are Booting the Computer:

When you first start your computer, the GRUB screen (where you choose
your Operating System) appears. Select the Fedora that you want to
boot into, but press the "a" key instead of pressing Enter.

You will see a line somewhat like the following:
kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet

Add the number of your runlevel to the end of that line, and then
press Enter. For example, to boot into text-only mode, the line would
look like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet 3

To boot into single user mode (runlevel 1) the line would look like:

kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.9-1.667 ro root=LABEL=/ acpi=on rhgb quiet 1

You will then boot into the new runlevel this time only.