Problem with smb shares.

David Hoffman dhoffman2004 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 16:06:25 UTC 2005

On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:50:19 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu
<akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
> I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
> share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
> doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
> mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
> smbmount will not.

Aaron,

I'm sorry to differ from what your "Windows people" tell you, but I
have never seen any method for creating a mount that is a level below
where the mount point is.

For example, I have a Windows machine called "HOST" and I have created
a share called "DATA". Below data, I create another sub-directory (NOT
another share) called "FILES". From a remote window machine, I can map
a network drive (or what we are calling mounting) to
\\HOST\DATA but I can NOT mount to \\HOST\DATA\FILES

It just can't be done. You can only mount to the point of the share,
not the point of directories below the share.

So in your example, you have a host called "trinity-tigers" and a
share called "users" and then user directories below that. Most
windows administrators will simply set up their shares like this so
that each user does not have to map to individual directories, and you
can actually see directories for ALL users. However because of the way
they set up permissions, you will probably only have access to YOUR
files.

My suggestion, in that case, is to mount the \\trinity-tigers\users
directory with your user credentials that you have on the windows
system. For example, mount \\trinity-tigers\users to a mount point
called "trinity". Then when you want to see your data you would cd to
/trinity/akonstam just like on the windows network you would cd to
your users area and then find your own subdirectory.

If you don't want to do it that way, you could also create a mount of
\\trinity-tigers\users and then create a symbolic link that points to
your user directory. Here's an example:

At your root level, create a directory called /mnt/trinity
Mount \\trinity-tigers\users to /mnt/trinity
Create a symbolic link:
ln -s /mnt/trinity/akonstam /home/akonstam/trinity-share

Then when you cd to /home/akonstam/trinity-share, you are not seeing
all the user files, but just yours.

There are probably dozens of ways to do this, but I really don't think
that you can mount directly to a directory below a mount point.

--

David