Problem with smb shares.

Maxim Eremeev maxim_eremeev at umail.ru
Wed Feb 9 16:24:16 UTC 2005

Hello David,

> On Wed, 9 Feb 2005 06:50:19 -0600, akonstam at trinity.edu
> <akonstam at trinity.edu> wrote:
>> I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
>> share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
>> doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
>> mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
>> smbmount will not.

> Aaron,

> I'm sorry to differ from what your "Windows people" tell you, but I
> have never seen any method for creating a mount that is a level below
> where the mount point is.

> For example, I have a Windows machine called "HOST" and I have created
> a share called "DATA". Below data, I create another sub-directory (NOT
> another share) called "FILES". From a remote window machine, I can map
> a network drive (or what we are calling mounting) to
> \\HOST\DATA but I can NOT mount to \\HOST\DATA\FILES

> It just can't be done. You can only mount to the point of the share,
> not the point of directories below the share.

Which version of Windows do you use? I'll tell you one really scary
thing: you can actually map the network drive to whatever level within
the share you are pleased. That's how at least W2K and WXP work (don't
really remember how it was in earlier versions). It will be like this
even if you get connected to a Samba server. I would totally agree
with the rest of your message. But the "Windows people" are right, it
CAN be done.
Regards,
Maxim.