Making VNC behave like Windoze RDP

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Wed Feb 9 16:47:08 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 11:24 -0500, Christopher K. Johnson wrote:
> Felipe Alfaro Solana wrote:

> >> Use dtach or screen at the start of your SSH session and you will be
> >> able to reconnect to what you were running with a later SSH session.
> >> Each of these is provided by an rpm package of the same name in the
> >> base Fedora Core distro.
> >

> > Of course. That works for command-line sessions, but you won't be able
> > to reattach to a dettached ssh session running X11 applications and
> > expect everything to be in place.
> >
> Agreed.  NX has some capability for resuming sessions which you detach
> from, although it was still a little shaky when I last tried it a couple
> of months ago.
----
there was an article in one of the linux magazines that I read a few
years ago that had a way to do something like this.

I don't recall exactly what the details were but the gist of it is...

set up vncpasswd and set vnc to automatically start up
(see /etc/sysconfig/vncservers)

set your default xsession to vnc instead of kde or gnome

set your default .vnc/xsession to kde or gnome

and when you log in locally or remotely, you are seeing the same screen.

Of course, the ltsp.org already has these kind of things covered too.

Craig