Problems with attempting to install Fedora Core 3

Pat Pleate rosebwl2 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 9 16:52:09 UTC 2005

To all:

  I have found the reason why the CD was not bootable
- an IDE controller may have had a bad wire and was
replaced.  The new IDE controller is now allowing the
CD-ROM to be seen at POST (to which I didn't see
previously and did not mention, since I saw that the
CD  device was mentioned in the BIOS and the CD could
be accessed in Windows.  It didn't dawn on me at that
time).  It appears that an IDE controller wire that is
used for detection was bad or malfunctioning.

  Sorry that it was a hardware problem and that I used
up some bandwidth for this and may have wasted some of
your time.  Thanks for the responses, though.

  If I ever have time to play with the suggestion
mentioned below, I'll pass on the information.

  Thanks again.