Save me from spams

Scott Ryan scott at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Feb 9 17:14:38 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 18:53, arora.himanshu at gmail.com shaped the
electrons to say:
> Hi Folks,
>              I am suffering from serious spam problem. I know that i
> can use spamassassin for this purpose but my system administrator has
> disabled this facility might be he thinks that it would slow down the
> server. I have no way to detect spams. I used procmail, it works for
> 20% of the cases because i used some specific dictionary words to
> check for spam because these mails are related to some particular
> subject. I cannot filter the mails because the mails are from
> different email IDs. The idea of using specific dictionary word failed
> because they used some special characters to represent some characters
> e.g. they used /\ for A. 1(one) or | (pipe) in place I( I for Indigo)
> \/ (backslash and forward slash ) for V.
>             I want a program which is not heavy in terms of CPU cycles
> consumed, which i can run from from my home directory(independent of
> binaries installed on the server). Might be a simple perl script.
> Please reply me from where  i can get this program. It need not be
> very accurate. 70% to 80% accuracy is fine.
>
> Himanshu Arora

Your system adminstrator should set his mail server up so that only individual
users who request spam checking actually have their mail checked.
SpamAssassin rules can be saved on a per user basis in a MySQL table or, as I
am led to believe, in LDAP. Most webmail clients come with plugins to allow
the modification of the spamassassin rules on a per user basis. This would
definitely be a more steadier and more manageable approach to having mail
checked via spamassassin than allowing it system wide.

The other option is to install spamassassin on your local machine and use
kmail's built in anti spam wizard which can use spam assassin.

--
Scott Ryan
Telkom Internet