Compiling programs and KDE

James Wilkinson james at westexe.demon.co.uk
Wed Feb 9 17:49:08 UTC 2005

Rob Rosenthal wrote:
> 1.	Okay, so I take it if the README or INSTALL file in a tarball does
> NOT specify a particular --prefix, I need not specify one when compiling
> UNLESS I want to decide where I want the program to install itself.  Is
> that right?

Normally, if you try
./configure --help
you'll get a lot of output looking somewhat like this:
Usage: configure [options] [host]
<snip>
Directory and file names:
  --prefix=PREFIX         install architecture-independent files in PREFIX
                          [/usr/local]

So if you don't enter --prefix, it will default to /usr/local.

> 2.	Since I compile some programs myself but mostly use yum to install
> rpms and keep updated, what is the neatest way to keep things organized
> with a minimum of problems and conflicts?

Well, *I* think keeping compiled programs in /usr/local makes the most
sense. I do allow other people to have different opinions...

James.

--
James Wilkinson       | Strangely enough, this last one is interrupted by
Exeter    Devon    UK | twelve dancing rabbits singing about toilet paper.