spamassassin does not use bayes

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 19:06:51 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 13:36, Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina wrote:
> Hello,
> On a dedicated server, I installed spamassassin.
> If I change the configuration into /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf,
> (ie. use terse report or report safe,...) the modifications are applied.
>
> But there is an exception: the bayes usage.
> I know spamassassin uses Bayes by default. If I dont mention any Bayes
> related directives into local.cf, it doesn't use Bayes. Though I force
> using Bayes into local.cf, there's no way: it doesn't use Bayes.
>
> spamassassin is run from postfix as a specific user "foo".
> I had a look into the user_prefs files of "foo", it doesn't mention any
> Bayes, so spamassassin should use it...
>
> Any other possibility to use Bayes ?
>
> I alreday ran sa-learn as "foo" many times, and the bayes stuff has been
> created under the homedir of "foo".

One thing with spamassassin is that for bayes to be used it must have
learned from at least 200 spam and 200 ham messages.  (I think those
numbers are correct).  If you have not hit that threshold yet it will
just use the standard rules.

Also when you use sa-learn make sure you are storing the results in the
same database when spamassassin is run normally.  I have seen where this
has happened.  Check the config files and make sure they point to the
same location.

--

Response brought to you by AutoReponder 0.1
a product of Magic-8-ball productions.