fc3 randomly freezing on a Dell Inspiron 5150

Scot L. Harris webid at cfl.rr.com
Wed Feb 9 19:36:01 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-09 at 14:31, Peter James Morgan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a Dell Inspiron 5150 laptop that has been running FC1 for the
> last year (or so). I took the plunge last weekend and did a clean
> install on the machine with FC3. Very impressed by the smooth
> installation, and initially very happy - especially with "yum update"
> very neat!
>
> However, the machine is now "freezing" on a semi random basis,
> particularly under heavy load. Though, I left it alone idling today and
> when I came back it had again frozen. When it freezes under load, the
> CPU fan can be heard at (I guess) 100% for a couple of minutes while it
> is frozen, then shortly after the machine powers itself off. The last
> couple of under load freeze were at the same time as the CPU fan
> stepping up another "gear".
>
> The freeze happens when running under 2.6.10-1.760_FC3smp (the machine
> is HT with a 3Ghz Intel processor) and also 2.6.10-1.760_FC3.
>
> With acpi=off, the machine appears to be stable.
>
> With FC1 I was able to run this laptop with acpi=on (only with
> uniprocessor mode, didn't trust HT with 2.4), without any problems with
> stability.
>
> Unfortunately, nothing of interest is being written to /var/log. Is
> there a recommended mechanism of debugging this fault? Any pointers to
> other things that I can configure (e.g., could the CPU speed stepping be
> the source of the problem?)

Is there anyway to determine what the temperature of the system is?
>From the description it sounds like the fans may not be running when
they should and the system overheats at which point it shuts it self
down to protect itself.

With acpi off if it is stable does the fan run all the time?

Not sure but it seems like there should be some where to specify
thresholds for when the fan runs.

--
Scot L. Harris
webid at cfl.rr.com

What ever happened to happily ever after?