fc3 randomly freezing on a Dell Inspiron 5150

Peter James Morgan pmorgan at jcoverage.com
Wed Feb 9 19:47:23 UTC 2005

Hi Scot,

Scot L. Harris wrote:
>>Unfortunately, nothing of interest is being written to /var/log. Is
>>there a recommended mechanism of debugging this fault? Any pointers to
>>other things that I can configure (e.g., could the CPU speed stepping be
>>the source of the problem?)
>
> Is there anyway to determine what the temperature of the system is?
> From the description it sounds like the fans may not be running when
> they should and the system overheats at which point it shuts it self
> down to protect itself.

gkrellm was showing the CPU temperature within a normal level 60-70oC at
the time of the freeze.

> With acpi off if it is stable does the fan run all the time?

Fan operates normally without ACPI.

> Not sure but it seems like there should be some where to specify
> thresholds for when the fan runs.

Sorry, but the machine was fairly cool to the touch, certainly not
hotter than it has been before.

It is a development machine, so it tends to run short but rather intense
CPU load (lots of editing, followed by lots of compiling).

Thanks,
Peter.