fc3 randomly freezing on a Dell Inspiron 5150

Scott Ryan scott at staff.telkomsa.net
Wed Feb 9 19:47:21 UTC 2005

On Wednesday 09 February 2005 21:47, Peter James Morgan shaped the electrons
to say:
> Hi Scot,
>
> Scot L. Harris wrote:
> >>Unfortunately, nothing of interest is being written to /var/log. Is
> >>there a recommended mechanism of debugging this fault? Any pointers to
> >>other things that I can configure (e.g., could the CPU speed stepping be
> >>the source of the problem?)
> >
> > Is there anyway to determine what the temperature of the system is?
> > From the description it sounds like the fans may not be running when
> > they should and the system overheats at which point it shuts it self
> > down to protect itself.
>
> gkrellm was showing the CPU temperature within a normal level 60-70oC at
> the time of the freeze.

Thats too hot. My laptop will shut down above 65 degrees. I have a dell d600
and and it runs average temp 35-45 degrees.

> > With acpi off if it is stable does the fan run all the time?
>
> Fan operates normally without ACPI.

Do you hear the fan changing speeds?

> > Not sure but it seems like there should be some where to specify
> > thresholds for when the fan runs.
>
> Sorry, but the machine was fairly cool to the touch, certainly not
> hotter than it has been before.

If the temp on gkrellm indicates anything above 45 degrees, my laptop is hot
to the touch.

--
Scott Ryan
Telkom Internet