Problem with smb shares.

akonstam at trinity.edu akonstam at trinity.edu
Wed Feb 9 22:43:54 UTC 2005

On Wed, Feb 09, 2005 at 01:27:53PM +0000, James Wilkinson wrote:
> akonstam at trinity.edu wrote:
> > You are absolutely correct in your analysis of what I want to do. So
> > can it be done?
> >
> > I recently received a clarification from out Windows people that the
> > share is really //trinity-tigers/users so technically smbmount is
> > doing what it is advertised to do but Windows 2000 and XP allow you to
> > mount one level below the share. I am getting the feeling that
> > smbmount will not.
>
> I still think we're missing information.
>
> Are these shares going to be the users home directories? (If so, there
> could be problems with some programs that assume the home directory
> "looks" like a Unix home directory).
The home directory will be a subshare on \\tucc-tiger\users
let us say. And yes if the directoties reside on a widows server there
will have to be diectories that Linux can deal with.

> What is exporting these shares? What sort of filesystem does it have?
> Can you rely on its idea of security? The Windows server can handle
the security.

> Is there any chance that you can mount this share somewhere like
> /var/trinity/users and script the creation of a symlink to the right
> place?

The above is just what I am thinking I will have to do. We will see.

> Or could you use the "bind", "rbind" or "move" functionality in mount?
> (See man mount).

Maybe I will look in to it. Thanks for the response.
> James.
>
> --
> James Wilkinson       | Users are not like normal particles; they wave when
> Exeter    Devon    UK | you observe them.
> E-mail address: james |     -- Andrew Dalgleish
> @westexe.demon.co.uk  |
>
> --

If you don't strike oil in twenty minutes, stop boring.
		-- Andrew Carnegie, on public speaking
Aaron Konstam
Computer Science
Trinity University