Solution Coming Re: Fedora Community: Under threat?

Jonathan Berry berryja at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 23:03:09 UTC 2005

On Tue, 08 Feb 2005 15:08:55 -0600, Rodolfo J. Paiz
<rpaiz at simpaticus.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2005-02-08 at 00:05 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > This is probably redundant, but I would suggest to anybody who's
> > looking for a good interface to work with the volume on this list to
> > use gmail. It threads the discssions better than Kmail did for me,
> > it's there when i want it and I'm not waiting to download anything.
>
> Two things:
>
>         * This whole discussion started from a post by Warren Togami indicating
> an "imminent" plan to move most end-user support from the mailing list
> to a web forum. That was loudly received as a bloody awful idea, and the
> thought of using a newsgroup as base, with a gateway to mail and/or web,
> was proposed as an alternative. It's not about which mail
> clients/providers allow easier threading of mail... it's about mail or
> usenet vs. the web fora Warren proposed.

Yes, but it can apply as Gmail would not be able to be used with a web
forum or just a newsgroup.  It sounds like a new-to-mail gateway could
be added to a newsgroup to allow things to work very similarly to the
mailing list as it now is.  As well, it sounds like a web interface
could be added to look like a web forum.  It seems the general
consensus is a newsgroup is the most flexible alternative.
I find Gmail to have a very good interface for using mailing lists as
well.  Perhaps if RedHat really wanted a web forum, they could take a
look at the interface and create something similar.  That might be a
reasonable web forum interface, but I doubt that it would happen.

>         * Gmail has a nasty habit of modifying reply-to headers, changing
> replies to list so that they request direct replies instead of replies
> to list. That sounds confusing, so again: you send mail to the list from
> Gmail, and when I reply to your post, it goes directly to you instead of
> fedora-list. This is hugely annoying. Just as an FYI.

This isn't completely true.  Gmail simply sets the reply-to header and
the mailing list modifies it to also include the list.  You hit reply
and the email, by default, sends to both me *and* the list.  The
problem begins when I reply to your reply, which I got from you and
not the list since I have duplicate delivery turned off.  The email
goes straight to you and not to the list unless I use reply-to-all.
Some other people have their email clients set to set the reply-to
address, it is just that Gmail doesn't seem to be able to turn that
off right now.  If people were more careful about who they send the
email to (you can remove my name when you reply, or I can be careful
to use reply-to-all if needed) this would not be a problem.

> Cheers,
>
> --
> Rodolfo J. Paiz <rpaiz at simpaticus.com>

Jonathan