Timeout Error while starting MySQL Daemon at boot , but MySQL daemon starts

Kostas Sfakiotakis kostassf at cha.forthnet.gr
Wed Feb 9 23:30:59 UTC 2005

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 February 2005 17:47, Kostas Sfakiotakis wrote:
>
>>Greetings ,
>>
>>I run into a rather strange situation . While boot i get the message
>>
>>"Timeout error occured trying to start MySQL Daemon" .
>>
>>Starting MySQL Daemon   [FAILED]
>>
>>Before the error get's printed there is a delay of  about 5 seconds .
>

> The mysqld startup script is different than most as in it starts the daemon
> process and then sits and spins for 10 seconds waiting or it to come up.
> Most likely you have either very little resources so your mysqld takes longer
> than that to come up, or you're allocating some large junks of memory so the
> initialization takes longer... For more detail check /etc/init.d/mysqld
> starting with line 38...

if [ $ret -eq 0 ]; then
             for x in 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10; do
             if [ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`" ]; then
                     break;
             else
                     sleep 1;
             fi
             done
             if !([ -n "`/usr/bin/mysqladmin ping 2> /dev/null`" ]); then
                     echo "Timeout error occurred trying to start MySQL
Daemon."

Well this is a part of an if command .  On the first line it tries to
ping the MySQL Daemon
the man page says " Check if mysqld is alive" . If i understand things
well the if condition is
checked 10 times with an interval of 1 second between each attempt (
sleep 1 ) .

The thing is if mysqld is actually running why the ping fails ?
if i  understand things well the messages of  /usr/bin/mysqldadmin ping
2 are thrown to the bucket
( /dev/null ) , so nobody  can say if the print something usefull as to
why the ping failled .

Well trying the command manually it gave  :

[root at Magellan root]# mysqladmin ping 2
mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
error: 'Access denied for user: 'root at localhost' (Using password: NO)'

Well user root at localhost is a valid user but it has a password .
Where can i specify the password so things will procceed normally ?

Kind Regards,
   Kostas

Kind Regards,
   Kostas